Thursday, January 14, 2010

Clucking Blossom, Fairbanks Alaska

Clucking Blossom, Fairbanks Alaska

Red hair spilling like wine
Four sets of feet entangled
Limbs shaking, shuffling toes
A big blue ball rolls and bounces under children’s
Watchful exuberance
Mortal combat and peace talks
Intermingle
Pirates and hippies
Radicals and hula-hoops
A blanket party to promote
Opposite views
Shelve the hate to embrace the
Beauty of gathered humanity
Swilling wine from blue bottles
Accidental curses and breaking
Microphones
Silence so loud the crickets are
Heard across a cracked highway
Rhythm given freely to dust
Filled air
Crazy relative
Twitching bugs off bare shoulders
Sweat, smoke and dust filters
Through my nostrils
Swirling colors on chests, arms and legs
Open friendliness spread
Over opposition
Melting honey
Author Notes: I was sitting in the grass at our annual Clucking Blossom festival and I couldn't stop thinking about the eclectic people that I live with. I love the honest and loving people of my city and most of all, the outrageous outpouring of support for artists, muscians, and craftsmen. There is something so comforting about the sun on my back, the music drifting through the air nd the knowledge that even if they are strangers right now, I love them as they love me and we won't be strangers for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment